So I listened to a podcast called "The Fireside Book Chat." It's a podcast that talks about books for teens and the reviews are given by teens. I chose to listen to one of these because my school goes up to 8th grade, and I feel like I need to be more informed on what they are reading and good books to recommend, but I don't have time to read all of those books! I thought this would be a good way to stay updated on what is new and current in a quick and easy way.
The first podcast I listened to was a book review about the book Eagle Strike by Anthony Horowitz. This series is one that students in my library have asked about over and over. So there is a host that asks these students questions about the book. They talked about what student reviewer liked/didn't like about the book. The student reviewer gives a plot summary of the book. It sounds like a James Bond book but with a 14 year old boy. It was the fourth book in the series. He compares it to the other books in the series...thinks it was the best so far. Here is the URL: http://firesidebookchat.podbean.com/feed (Once there just type in the name of the book in the search box in the upper right hand corner and it will take you right to it.)
I listened to another review on the book A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer. I recently visited a high school and the librarian said that this book was the favorite and that she couldn't keep it on her shelves. I read this a long time ago, but as the student reviewer recapped the book I couldn't believe some of the sad, tragic things that happened in this book. Here is the URL: http://firesidebookchat.podbean.com/feed
I subscribed to these podcasts, but I think I might look for another review podcast that is reviewed by librarians. I want to know more what is in the books and if they would recommend them for school libraries etc. The student reviewers didn't give me all of the details I wanted, but I like hearing what students thought about the books.
No comments:
Post a Comment